Buying an Old Church in Queenstown, Tasmania


Hello 💫

My name is Emma and I was born in Hobart, Tasmania in 1981. I followed the career path of artist and jewellery designer, which has turned out pretty well, but not quite well enough to afford the escalating realestate prices in Hobart. Most of my twenties and thirties were spent in a pattern of working, saving up and travelling the world, which I have no regrets about.

In 2021 I decided to get serious about buying a place in Tassie, exploring the idea other inspiring locations beyond the capital. Queenstown came up number one on my list for its creative community, unique landscape and authenticity.

On August 8th, 2021, I visited Queenstown to view a few properties listed for sale. One of the places on my list was an old church-which was a total curveball, but I fell in love with it. I was with my friend who had experience in the restoration of old run-down buildings, and she cemented my decision that buying it was a good idea.


After chasing the real estate agent down the main street, I signed the papers that day at the Empire Hotel. As anyone who has been fortunate to buy their first property knows, it's a surreal, exhilarating and slightly terrifying experience. So many adulting words to learn in a short space of time.

After being vacant for several years, the dear old place needs some love to breathe new life back into it. It was first sold by the church in 2020, and unfortunately it had been stripped of almost all the original fittings and churchy stuff, except for some lovely light shades, and organ and some Sunday School artworks.


This blog documents the slow evolution of the place, with links to a few articles along the way.
If you have any stories to share I'd be very grateful to hear them. I respect that this building has been an important part of the community for many years and am interested in learning more of its history and stories
🙏

 

FOR SALE, view from Cutten St



SOLD, August 2021



Comments

  1. Hooray Emma! I love a good renovation journey! Look forward to following along. I love Queenstown and have admired this gorgeous building many times. I remember being horrified that some of the mortar had been "repaired" with silicone...and noted that cowboy's handiwork on a few of the old buildings in Queenie.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts