1897 Wooden Door


Sanding, Repairing, Repainting

The wooden parts of the building all needed a freshen up to prevent water seeping in. The West Coast region of Tasmania had the second highest annual rainfall in Australia,  so getting this done over summer when the wood had a chance to dry out was a priority. 



I began with the door on the hall, constructed in 1897. Initially enthusiastically scraping every mm of paint, but after realising it wasn't necessary to remove every speck, I stuck to sanding off the majority of the old paint and just scraping the badly weathered parts. A few coats of fresh white paint later and it looked new again. Frustratingly I didn't get a good after shot, but will add this in a couple of weeks.


 


The door was a small job in comparison to the window frames. Thankfully I had a skilled assistant who has no fear of heights. He scaled the ladders like a confident monkey, and sanded and painted all the window frames also on the 1897 side of the building. 

It's the tip of the iceberg, but it feels good to have made a start. I'm new to any kind of renovation as this is the first property I've ever owned, so it's satisfying to be able to sink my teeth in to a project to bring it back to life, with some expert help I might add.

If you'd like to get notifications of new posts, feel free to follow this blog.  Like the projects, posts will be slow and steady as progress is made. 

Also I'd love to hear from anyone else who is restoring an old church. Let me know how you're going! :)

There's a contact form on this page if you'd like to get in touch. 









Comments

Popular Posts